Call me a sceptic, but from the moment I saw Cam and Clegg in that garden on the evening of the election results last year, I knew something was very odd. Well, apart from the fact that they look as if they were somehow related by blood!
You see two things came to my mind at the time:
- Cameron is too much of a strong personality to really want a coalition government, and the converse could be said of Clegg – too “soft” to handle Cam.
- This coalition is an unholy alliance that would end in tears. You know, the kind of relationship that you try to warn your best friend about, because you have a gut feeling that it won’t work?
One year on, and it seems that my instincts were right. Cam and Clegg aka Tory and Lib Dem do not present a perfect fit. I don’t care what the theory says, but in practice there is a complete imbalance in the allocation of power, tipped totally in favour of Cameron and the Tories.
So what is in it for Clegg? How can and will his ambitions be fulfilled through this coalition? The recent results at the May Polls, especially in respect of his brain child the AV referendum showed that he failed miserably in his quest to exert his influence. Was that a reflection on him personally, or on the Lib Dem’s party’s policies and politics?
I am sure by now you are thinking “why is she going on about this, what has it got to do with me?” Well, from my point of view, if you are an entrepreneur/business person you need to take heed.
The current economic climate augers for joint ventures, collaborations and all other kinds of working relationships. However, if you are considering entering into any such arrangements, you would be well advised to heed the following points:
- Does your personality, ethos match that of the business or individual that you wish to collaborate with? Are you a perfect fit?
- What do you want to gain from this relationship?
- How will you go about ensuring that the venture looks and feels more like a win/win situation?
- How far will you have to compromise and are you willing to do so, even to the detriment of your business and professional standing?
- Make sure that any such arrangement is put in writing!
What are some of the pre-requisites for a good joint venture relationship? Have you had any nightmare stories? Let’s share them here!